- Lights On Afterschool: LOA is a national day of recognition and celebration of the tremendous, positive impact that afterschool programs have on students and families. The Afterschool Alliance has made it easy to plan for events with their LOA Event Planning Kit. Be sure to register your event as Florida has been a national leader for Light’s On Afterschool activities.
- Florida Parents Value Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Learning Opportunities Provided by Afterschool Programs: A special report has been released, Full STEM Ahead: Afterschool Programs Step Up as Key Partners in STEM Education, finds broad support among Florida parents for providing STEM learning in afterschool, and high satisfaction with afterschool STEM offerings among parents of children in afterschool programs.
- Florida Afterschool Network on Capital Dateline Online: FAN’s Michael Lannon and Joe Davis were recently featured on Inside Florida Politics and the Florida Newsmakers sections of this informative program broadcasted on the Florida Cable Telecommunications Association. Watch the FAN segments by clicking on the links below:
- The American Youth Policy Forum: Based in Washington, D.C., AYPF hosted a discussion group with state afterschool networks on the topic of Coordinated Financing for Afterschool and Summer Learning. The Florida Afterschool Network participated in this event and a summary of the discussion and materials presented can be found on the AYPF website.
- Mayoral Summit on Afterschool to be held in 2016: The Florida Afterschool Network has been awarded grant funding from the National League of Cities to hold a Mayoral Summit on Afterschool in 2016. Stay tuned to www.myfan.org for more information.
- Zero Robotics Middle School Competition: The 2015 Florida Zero Robotics Finals took place on August 14 at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC). During the national competition, Florida advanced to the semifinal round, but in the end Massachusetts won the championship. Students enjoyed various educational breakout sessions at KSC and met with former astronauts during this six week summer program. The Florida Press Release has more on the Zero Robotics experience. The competition will be open to all summer afterschool programs in 2016!